Friday, September 4, 2009

My first week with Yardie: Surprise, Shock, and Adjustment

Saturday, August 22, 2009
I got the call about the contest yesterday as I was walking out of the office. You would have thought I won the lottery. Total surprise. Trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I would be seriously working out for the next 12 weeks. I had already lost several pounds by cutting my portion sizes and eliminating sweets at night. I wanted to lose more weight and tone up, and started working out on my own--running and walking. I thought I was really working hard, but wasn't seeing results. :( So, the call about Yardie excited and scared me at the same time. Would the trainers be like drill sergeants, barking out orders? Would I hate the program? Would I end up giving up because it was too hard? So many thoughts and questions.

I ended up tossing and turning last night for hours, scared I wouldn't wake up in time for the boot camp orientation session at 8:15am today. I felt like throwing up a few times for some reason. It's been over a year since I worked out consistently with a group, and I had the feeling that the Yardie program would be no joke. Well, I woke up in time and made it to orientation. I was impressed with the physiques of the fitness advisers/trainers. Very "fit-looking". All were very nice, but warned us that this is serious business. Rules that had consequences.
I met Cicily and Tanya, the other contest winners for our location, and both are nice as well. I look forward to completing this 12-week journey with them.

We completed the measurements and weigh-in. Ugh, I am sooo overweight and out of shape. As the advisor, TP, handed me the machine to compute my BMI, I casually mentioned, 'Oh, I know I'm bad because I believe I'm at 25% body fat" (I had last been evaluated back in early spring). Imagine the shock on my face when she turned to me and said, "It's at 30%." Womp Womp. So I'm feeling bad because I can hardly do the push ups, didn't do the best with the sit ups, and flat-out performed horribly on the 1/4 of a mile run. My upper body is weak and I have very little stamina. My 'before' picture even looks a hot mess---fat all over my abs and core. How did I allow myself to let it all go like this?

So, what to do, what to do? Well, first, I thank God that He provided this opportunity. I knew I was out of shape, but I really didn't think it was this bad. I thought I could beat the bulge by walking 1-2 miles a few times a week. I thought I was doing ok with cutting my portions in half and limiting ice cream at night. But I needed help with my nutrition and extra motivation to get moving more. Now I have it. The door has opened, and I plan to walk right through. I know that this is going to be very hard work, but I owe it to myself, to God (our bodies are His temple), and my future family, to get my health in check. Thank God for opening my eyes and providing this blessing. Yardie, LET'S GET IT.

Sunday, August 23, 2009
I can't believe how tired I am, and I haven't even had a real workout yet. I am already sore from the few push ups and sit ups I did for the assessment test. I must REALLY be out of shape The thought of the "real" workout on Monday scares me. Will I be able to drink enough water during the day to stay hydrated during the workout? I'm not worried about having enough energy from food---I haven't had anything 'bad' since Friday night when I gobbled up my leftovers from Mellow Mushroom (in a rushed farewell). And I have all kinds of food to eat at work tomorrow. Plus, something for a
pre-workout snack. I'm scared, but excited. Excited to see how much I can do, how far I can push myself. It's past time to be the best that I can be.



Monday, August 24, 2009
8:30 am:

OMG, someone just bought three boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and put them in the office kitchen. AND she purchased them when the HOT&FRESH sign was on. Sigh. I had just put my lunch box in the fridge and was stirring up my low-sodium oatmeal/ The yummy sugary doughnut smell was calling me. I wondered for a split section how much damage 1/4 of a doughnut could do. Then, just as fast, my mind remembered the 'before' picture I took at boot camp on Saturday. I thought about the fat on my stomach, hips, and thighs. How I used to eat three of those hot doughnuts, thinking nothing of it. I went back to my office, closed the door, and cut my banana up in my oatmeal. And made myself enjoy it.

I'm really tired from the excitement of the weekend: The fitness assessment (I totally sucked), clearing out my pantry, cabinets, and grocery shopping have me spent. I was up late last night cooking dinner, prepping my lunch and snacks, and packing my work-out clothes. Oh! and completing my food log. The food log is tedious, but I understand the importance. It is forcing me to evaluate the quality of food I put in my mouth during the day. I am realizing how one can pack on the pounds if you don't pay attention to the fat, sodium, and caloric amount of meals and snacks. Couple that with no physical activity, and ---BAM!--you're overweight before you know it. So I will do what I have to do, and continue filling out my food log for as long as it takes.

11:30 am:
I had to force myself to eat a morning snack, because I wasn't really hungry after the oatmeal and banana. Plus, all of this water is killing me. I drank one large Smart Water bottle (33 oz.) so far.

2:15 pm:
I just finished drinking 67.6 fl oz. of water. I like water, but I don't like it THAT much! We were instructed to drink at least 64 oz. per day. I also finished lunch. I cooked chicken breast with roasted peppers, corn, and onions, and rolled it all up in a spinach tortilla. Not something I would usually cook, but I'm trying to do what I'm supposed to do. It actually seemed like alot to eat, considering I had a good breakfast and a snack a few hours ago. I had to force myself to eat the chicken which is funny because I can go over to Bennihana and scarf down a ton of veggies, rice, and chicken with the sauce. And don't forget the salad and drink.
Soooo, I made myself finish my lunch and surprisingly, I feel fine. I'm not stuffed, but I am satisfied and light. Normally, I eat until my emotions say I've had enough. So this is quite new and I like it. One more snack before workout...Oh! The people at work are getting two and three doughnuts each. I'm not even tempted anymore. Instead I see what I used to do. I used to load up on stuff like that and look where it got me---looking 'just good enough' with no real thought to my health.


Monday, August 31, 2009
I completed the first week and didn't quit, cry, or fall out. Very very hard, but not impossible.

Ok, I take that back. Just doing something as simple as jumping up and down the length of a field almost seemed impossible. Who knew? Goodness, we need Adult P.E. at work for real, because you should not be 30-something and tired from doing 'bunny hops' for a few minutes. Add jumping rope to that, too. I've become somewhat of an evangelist for working-out and eating better among my close friends and family---YES, all in one short week. I know, I know. I'm just so excited and it spreads. People call me up wanting to know what I'm eating, or wanting to know what I did in boot camp. I particularly want to share my enthusiasm with my family. We have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, all of that. I can't wait to help my dad, who has the same sweet tooth that I do. Think about how we could change our communities and the statistics if we all helped each other to be more active and eat better. I wish there was a Yardie Program in every city.

So, I think I'm almost used to the six small meals each day and the quantity of water. I did struggle with eating enough this weekend because I wasn't in the office. For the most part, my eating during the week is structured because I plan my meals for each day. This is new because I like to eat out, and I like to eat according to my impulse at that particular moment---very impulsive when it comes to food. My endurance IS improving somewhat because I am motivated enough to actually work out on my days away from boot camp. I am not a runner, but want to be, and listed running as one of my challenges. Ever see people running around the neighborhood? Notice how they run continuously? Yeah, I see them too, and I want to be one of those people we both see. Weeell, I will probably meet my goal because we've been running every day! OMG, laps and laps. I think it's working because I can run a little bit further each day. I am working on my breathing and I hope my form improves.

Saturday's workout was pretty difficult. The ground was wet and the sun came out before we finished. Now, those who know me, know that I'm sort of prissy. I don't really like to sweat very much, and I don't like to get dirty. That flew out the window Saturday---heck, it's been out of the picture ALL week. By the time I returned home Saturday, my socks, as well as my clothes, were soaked. I had to leave my shoes outside! Grass was in my hair. We're sweating every day and I guess this is what REAL working-out is all about. We got weighed again, and I was pleased to find that I've lost some weight (2.6 lbs). This is enough encouragement to keep me going. None of my vices this week: pizza, chocolate, ice cream. The working-out is tough, but I would rather do it than pills, cleanses, and starvation. Looking forward to losing more weight and toning up!

Last but not least, I attended a Yardie cooking class yesterday and it was wonderful. One of the advisers is a trained personal chef named Tammie. Tammie showed us ways to season our food without all of the extra sodium and fat. I really appreciate this because I needed some ideas for the bland chicken, tuna, and brown rice I've been eating the week all week. I'm understanding that you don't have to eat flavorless food to eat healthy. I'm cooking more than I expected, and even upgraded my old dull knives to new, sharp ones (I already cut myself). One of my favorite snacks from the cooking class is the homemade sweet potato fries. I made some last night that I need to be snacking on now before today's work-out session. One week down, 11 more to go! ---R
--edited for font size