Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My second week with Yardie---A small setback, but I can recover

We weighed-in on Saturday and I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose much either (0.2lbs). I was sooo disappointed. I started my week out strong by preparing my meals and eating according to the rules. Towards the end of the week, I got tired of food from home, and ate out at two restaurants. I ordered what I thought were healthy, safe, entrees. I even ran a few extra laps on an off-day to make up for it. Well, apparently none of that worked! I did something wrong, and I need to get back on the rules. The good news is my slacks are loose in the waist...I have to keep pulling them up! The bad news? I have "detention" after every session during the third week to make up for my less-than-stellar weigh-in. Oh goodie.

The weekday sessions intensified during the second week. We ran more laps and added weights to our exercise sets. I notice the first lap is really hard to get through, but the rest are ok. I am still working on my breathing. Running with weights is torture and I don't like it at all. The ab exercises are ok, I can handle most of it except for holding my legs and feet six inches off the ground when I'm on my back. We also added a hill to our routine, and although I know it will work my legs and booty, I still hate it.

The food planning is getting a little easier. The cooking class from the first week helped, as well as a grocery shopping trip taken with my Yardie mentor, Tammie. Tammie helped me evaluate the nutrition labels on food items and pointed out healthy options. I now understand serving sizes and realize how important it is to watch out for processed food. I prepared alot of food on Sunday, so it was great to just pull things out of the fridge---ready to go.

Saturday's workout was crazy! The ground was wet and we got extra dirty. The simplest things are hard to do, like high knee-kicks down the field. How do highschool and college band members do this stuff?? I think my endurance is increasing, and I am actually thankful for everything we did during the first week. It's like building blocks. One week prepares you for the next week.

A word about our trainers: They are firm and tough, but not mean. I don't like to be yelled at or talked down to, and I haven't really seen that. I think they are picking up on our individual limits, and work with us. I really get the sense that they want to see us succeed. I also like the camaraderie of our group of bootcampers. Everyone supports each other. When a particular exercise seems impossible, I'm able to eek out juuuuuust enough to complete it because my teammates (yeah, sometimes it feels like we're trying out for football!) are cheering me on, and telling me I can do it. Or maybe they're just scared they'll have to run extra laps if I don't? Hmmm..... :)

So I'm encouraged about the next several weeks. Also particularly enthusiastic about the inches lost. I am filled with several emotions prior to a session: apprehension, nervousness, excitement, and motivation. I keep three things in mind:
1. I can do all things through Christ. I am more than a conqueror. My inner spirit won't let me quit.
2. It took time to gain the weight and get out of shape. It will take time to get it off and incorporate the eating and exercise into my lifestyle.
3. I am getting stronger every day. One foot in front of the other is all it takes.

Until next time!
---R



No comments:

Post a Comment